Aadhar Card Importance in Government Schemes
In the previous post, we have seen the importance of aadhar card and seen that Is it mandatory or not. But Nowadays every government scheme wants aadhar card to be attached to their account to get benefits. So, we have searched for this answer on UIDAI's official portal and here is some important point we come to know.
The main aspect behind the linkage of Aadhaar ID with everything is to keep a track of each and every bonafide citizen and there statements so as to know where and how they are using their earnings and for what purpose.
The bright aspect is that in this way they can fight against frauds and illegal activities but it also has drawbacks as it kills the privacy of every individual.
The Aadhaar Bill has been passed with no public consultation about the privacy safeguards necessary for such a database and no provision for public or independent oversight. The rights to liberty and freedom of expression cannot survive if the right to privacy is compromised.
Government Schemes and benefits to linking aadhar
- Aadhaar based Direct Benefit Transfer (LPG Subsidy): The 12 digit individual identification number on Aadhar card is used to get LPG subsidy amount directly in the bank account. This DBTL scheme is named as PAHAL. To get this benefit you need to visit your area’s distributor and get E adhaar number linked to the 17 digit LPG consumer number. Although now you can get direct benefit transfer by linking a bank account to the LPG number. Read more .
- Jan Dhan Yojana: The Guinness Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accepts Aadhaar card/number as the only document sufficient to open the bank account. Although you after producing other documents as well. The benefits offered are RuPay card, free zero balance savings account, life and accident insurance and many others. Read more on how to open PMJDY account with . scheme
- Passport: This benefit of Aadhaar card will relieve you the most! If you have an Aadhaar card, you can get a passport in just 10 days. Under this format, police verification will be done at a later date as opposed to the previous rule requiring police verification which used to be time-consuming. Also under the new government’s rule, if you need a passport, Aadhaar number is compulsory.
- Digital Locker: Government of India has launched a digital locker (DigiLocker) system for everyone for storing all personal document on the government’s server. And for DigiLocker requires a person to link his/her 12 digit Aadhaar card number. Check DigiLocker.
- Voter Card Linking: Aadhaar card UIDAI number would be linked to the voter ids. This action is taken to eliminate bogus voters. Once an Aadhaar number is linked, it would become impossible for a multiple voter ID card holder to make it’s illegal to use, as registration requires voter card holder to be physically present and produce Aadhaar card to the polling booth officer for linking.
- Monthly Pension: All the pensioners from select states will now have to register their Aadhaar card number to their respective department in order to receive a monthly pension. This move was initiated as there have been fraudulent incidents as beneficiaries requesting pension were found to be fake.
- Provident Fund: Similar to pension, provident fund money will be given to the account holder who’ve registered their Aadhaar number with employee provident fund organization (EPFO).
- Opening bank account: Aadhaar letter provided by UIDAI is now acceptable by banks as a valid proof to open a bank account. In fact, it can serve as an address proof as well provided address on Aadhaar card and address proof perfectly matches. i.e. no need to produce a bunch of documents to the banks for opening the account. Check out the Aadhaar number and bank account.
- Digital Life Certificate: Aadhaar linked is another initiative which was launched by the Department of Electronics and IT. Named as “Jeevan Praman for Pensioners”, this system will end the process where pensioner had to be physically present at Pension Disbursing Agency to avail pension.